Some super-quick predictions for the afternoon/evening slate:
- I’m taking Ohio State (-15) and the points at home against the Illini. I don’t think OSU is taking the Fighting Zookers lightly despite the fact their minds are probably focused on “That School Up North.”
- Auburn (+2) will beat Georgia on the road…Tommy Tuberville knows how to win road games.
- Miami (-3.5) will display the swagger from the glory days and beat Virginia in their Orange Bowl swan song.
- Florida (-6.5) will cover the spread against South Carolina. Steve Spurrier just doesn’t have the horses to pull any tricks out of his sleeves this time against his former team.
- The Fighting Manginos of Kansas (-6) will survive a dogfight at Oklahoma State tonight.
- Mark Mangino (3 servings) will actually manage to restrain himself at the pre-game buffet.
- Maryland (+6.5) over Boston College is my upset special this week. BC is still nursing its massive hangover from the Florida State upset loss and will come walking into this game like Will Ferrell in “Anchorman” walking down the streets of San Diego, chugging his carton of milk right after being fired.
- I’ll also be taking advantage of a rare opportunity to see Hawaii(-17) QB Colt Brennan in action when the Rainbow Warriors host Fresno State @ 11 PM ET on ESPN2. Colt already owns 22 NCAA records and is 2 TD passes away from adding another record to the trophy case: breaking Ty Detmer’s record for most career TDs thrown. It’s pretty safe to say at this point that Colt Brennan’s plethora of accomplishments make him college football’s Bono.
Colt Brennan: #1 at Everything